[Oberon] ETHO Display structure.

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 10:55:46 CET 2013

> > allowed me to:
> >
> > Repeat
> >  get(ch);
> >  writeCharAtCursor;
> > Until ch = "q"
> >
> > It's just that the resolution for fast navigating individual chars is
> > impractical. Words are more practical.
> > I was much influence by EditKeys, but forgot that the cursor 'snaps'
> >  to the last-char-of-the-line, and positioning it quickly inside the
> > line is not so easy.

----------
I've got some NEW confused ideas on this matter, but I'm going
to post my previous work, in order to clear my gmail for other needs:-

IMO the Pet* author wrongly names the 'caret' the cursor.
But I've notice mention of the "pointer" and the "marker".
For THIS PROJECT, I've considered the <pointer which moves with the mouse>
as the cursor.  What is the "pointer"?
---------------> Bob Walkden wrote:-
> I haven't been following this closely, so forgive me if I've misunderstood
> what you're doing, but if it's really as simple as that bit of code
> suggests, then this is a very easy way to do it:
>
> MODULE Bob;
>
> IMPORT Oberon, Input;
>
> PROCEDURE Glur * ;
> VAR
>         ch: CHAR;
>         m: Oberon.InputMsg;
> BEGIN
>         m.id := Oberon.consume;
>         m.fnt := Oberon.CurFnt;
>         m.col := Oberon.CurCol;
>         m.voff := Oberon.CurOff;
>         REPEAT
>                 Input.Read( ch );
>                 m.ch := CAP(ch); (* CAP proves that it's not the Oberon loop
> that's writing the text *)
>                 Oberon.FocusViewer.handle( Oberon.FocusViewer, m );
>         UNTIL ch = 'q';
> END Glur;
>
> BEGIN
> END Bob.
>
> Bob.Glur

Watson 1.7 / PS January 95
reading Oberon.Def (Definitions.Arc)
=> Oberon.Def ==
                CurFnt: Fonts.Font;   (* Current input font when typing. *)
                CurCol, CurOff: SHORTINT;   (* Current color and
offset when typing. *)

And while Oberon.Def is showing:----
PROCEDURE DrawCursor (VAR c: Cursor; VAR m: Marker; X, Y: INTEGER);

        (* Returns the star (F1) marked viewer. *)
        PROCEDURE MarkedViewer (): Viewers.Viewer;

        (* Returns the star (F1) marked frame. *)
        PROCEDURE MarkedFrame (): Display.Frame;
look interesting, and relevant to my task.
-----------

IMO the essentials of this problem is relating
  mouseXYcursor <---> correspondingChar at Display/Frame/Viewer

But [in principle] I've got a problem with the different Types:
Display, Viewers, TextFrames ....etc.

So if it's possible to GetMarkedObjType1,
I don't know how to pass that to a PROC which does:
 LocateCharAt(X,Y, ObjType2)

In OOP principles different Types of objects can 'relate'
via inheritance.  But this seems not to help here.
And just by luck AFAIR I found matching Types in TextFrames
where Paul Reed pointed me to.

The goal is to be able to roam the cursor around the screen
[or perhaps (now) only a Viewer] and instead of keying the
mouse; key the keybrd - with the other hand.

I failed to find the related code: where KeyBrd-Ctrl can
serve as the MidMouse to do <Call M.P> for 2 button mice.

== Chris Glur.