[Oberon] Project Oberon: New Edition

Jan Verhoeven jan at verhoeven272.nl
Sun Dec 22 14:04:30 CET 2013

Claudio Nieder wrote:
> I see Oberon as a way to build a whole system - OS, Compiler, User
> Interface - in a rather simple manner and formulated in a single
> programming language, so that it is possible that a single person can
> understand it as a whole.
Dear Claudio

We seem to agree. Yet, why reinvent the wheel for the 1023rd time?

Why spend thousands of hours in trying to duplicate a backdated Ceres
station in an FPGA board and being stranded on a deserted island in an
ocean of relatively standardised PC systems?

The Ceres served its purposes back then. It used to be so advanced that
average users got scared of it. In modern days the Ceres hardware would
be too whimsical even for basing a smartphone on it.

Therefore, if you want to give any kind of Oberon a shot, get yourself
an ASrock ITX board, install one textmode Linux (Slackware 14.1 x64
would be fine) and make (Native) Oberon run as an SVGAlib application.
Linux will make the VGA, lpt, keyboard, usb, ne2000, mouse, etc run
through thousands of stable drivers. You only need to get the base
system running and then NO will take over.
In effect, one would need an Oberon0 compiler for Linux and then the
system should be runnable.

--
Groetjes

Jan Verhoeven