[Oberon] FPGA Oberon - DAU status report...

Simon Forman forman.simon at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 23:21:47 CET 2014

Maybe this is a good time to mention my attempt to get a Python
implementation of the compiler (and RISC) working:
https://github.com/PhoenixBureau/PythonOberon/tree/master/OPY13

I got pretty far with it before getting side-tracked.  It compiles
Kernel.Mod.txt and FileDir.Mod.txt, but errors with "Reg Stack"on
Files.Mod.txt...  I hope to find time this month to circle back and
finish it.

It was incredibly educational working through the compiler to convert
it to Python.

Eventually I hope to use the Python version of the compiler to
bootstrap the Oberon system on the little RISC emulator I wrote.  The
idea is to be able to play and experiment with an Oberon 2013 system
without an FPGA board.

Warm regards,
~Simon

On 2/7/14, Bob Walkden <bob at web-options.com> wrote:
> On 7 Feb 2014, at 19:30, "Jan Verhoeven" <jan at verhoeven272.nl> wrote:
>>
>> greim wrote:
>>> So to generate prom.me i would need a running ORP and ORX on any PC.
>>
>> Bingo! You reached the point of fast return. Just about all of the
>> Oberon related projects need an oberon operating system to "cross"
>> compile the sources.
>> I haven't found one in the last 15 years. I tried to port some of the
>> sources to Modula-2 and failed.
>>
>> Oberon is to me like a holy grail hidden in a Tantalising setting. Each
>> time I think "I have it, it is in reach", it turns out that there is
>> still a tiny thing missing and I need to retreat.
>
> I'm not sure why that is like a holy grail - if you want to cross-compile
> and need an Oberon system, why not get an Oberon system? There are plenty of
> them.
>
> Way, way back before the days of browsers, when Oberon was fairly new, I got
> the dos version on a floppy disk, and got my library to order all of Prof.
> Wirth's papers about the system. One of them is called Designing a System
> from Scratch. A very worthwhile paper if you're not familiar with it. It
> includes a fascinating description of how they bootstrapped the first
> systems onto Ceres or Lilith or whatever the box was called. You may be able
> to find a copy online.

http://twitter.com/SimonForman
My blog: http://firequery.blogspot.com/
Also my blog: http://calroc.blogspot.com/

"The history of mankind for the last four centuries is rather like that of
an imprisoned sleeper, stirring clumsily and uneasily while the prison that
restrains and shelters him catches fire, not waking but incorporating the
crackling and warmth of the fire with ancient and incongruous dreams, than
like that of a man consciously awake to danger and opportunity."
--H. P. Wells, "A Short History of the World"