[Oberon] FPGA Oberon some news and a reply to F.P.

Jan Verhoeven jan at verhoeven272.nl
Sun Mar 16 00:48:35 CET 2014

On Saturday 15 March 2014 15:17:59 eas lab wrote:

> Perhaps Modula-2 was the peak of 'or family', and the contiual name
> change lost followers?

I think this is true. Pascal was a bit of a silly name, more a tribute
to Blaise Pascal. Modula was spot on since it gave Modular Programming
a totally new dimension.
But the Oberon name ... was a misser. It's a far away moon and the king
of elves. "Ob" is not even short for "Object".

When Modula-2 was establishing itself, Modula-3 was made by some other
group. I think it was not smart to break the name and restart the whole
thing. Stroustrup did it smarter with C++.

> >   The generated code for Swap would be
> >           MOVE.L  (A0),D0
> >           MOVE.L  (A1),(A0)
> >           MOVE.L  D0,(A1)