[Oberon] RISC emulator

Paul Onyschuk blink at bojary.koba.pl
Wed Mar 26 11:29:55 CET 2014

On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 18:14:23 +0100
Jan Verhoeven <jan at verhoeven272.nl> wrote:

> Get a copy of obc to get familiar with the language.
>
> obc is a fine compiler, cross platform, without the sidestep to Java
> or C. obc object code is interpreted but at amazing speeds.

I stumbled on OBC before - build dependency on OCaml was the reason
why I didn't give it a try I think.  Thanks for recommendation though,
at least I have stronger inventive to give it a spin.

Semantic wise there isn't much to learn about Oberon.  You can read and
understand Oberon code after very brief introduction, since language is
very streamlined and focused.  Still it takes some time getting used to
syntax and idioms.  Things line multiple expressions on the same line,
short variable names are more a matter of style than language itself.
There are also details like exception handling that are more
implementation specific than language specific.

--
Paul Onyschuk