[Oberon] Re (2): suggestions for documentation.

Jack Johnson knapjack at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 22:52:23 CEST 2014

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 11:27 AM, eas lab <lab.eas at gmail.com> wrote:

> When will we have ETHO running on ARM, eg.  rPi?

This is a recurring comment (in most open systems discussions) with at
least a couple of facets:

 - Some people in the community may have the knowledge but not the interest
or time to do the work
 - Some people in the community may question the value of the work
 - The set of people who want it and the set of people who can do it don't
always overlap

I think the best way to tackle this is to look at the problem differently.
How can we:

 - Make the barriers to porting easier
 - Reduce the cost or improve the return on investment for doing a port
 - Grow the number of people who can facilitate a port

This is where I was extremely excited about the virtual machine. Though
it's certainly not native, it is a stepping stone. If the port is mainly to
drive the cost of the hardware down: done. Porting will always be a giant
pain, and letting Some Other Community deal with the Driver of the Day is a
blessing. Finding easier ways to leverage someone else's drivers for your
target hardware may be difficult to accomplish on the outset but then may
greatly facilitate future or alternative ports.

I think the VM is a stepping stone to that, and adding functionality to the
VM is something that may be within the wheelhouse of more members of the
community than a straight port.

-Jack