[Oberon] ETH Oberon source and module SYSTEM

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 04:40:18 CEST 2014

]Please don't reply using the subject RISC5 and then talk about ETH Oberon,
]it's confusing.

Since the glorious revolution, many people who can read & write have emigrated,
& ISPs have collapsed & TexMail.* doesn't work with gmail & I just must take
<any buss that passes>.

]> in all cases the path is concealed at: IMPORT SYSTEM.
]> Some of us resent that. Oberon may have had a better following if
]> it had been open. OTOH perhaps that was not possible?

]Sorry, but that's complete rubbish.

]......It's documented in the Oberon language report (any
]version).

Thanks!! That enabled me to RE-locate it.

]By the way, the only "concealed" sections of the original Oberon system,
]ie not included in the Project Oberon book, were the Kernel and Display
]driver, which were written in machine-code, and thought to be arcane and
]of little general interest at the time.  (As stated in the preface to the
]new edition, this is no longer the case, Kernel and Display for the RISC
]are written in Oberon.)

So then, if the SYSTEM calls are implemented in <native machine-bytes>,
what's to stop simple-direct-porting to ARM, other than the real-time
constraints of the VGA drivers - perhaps?

== Chris Glur.