[Oberon] Fwd: Oberon Technical Notes / ETH Tech Reports Site

Jack Johnson knapjack at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 18:50:02 CEST 2014

Thanks, Paul!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Paul Reed <paulreed at paddedcell.com>
Date: Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 7:33 AM
Subject: Re: [Oberon] Oberon Technical Notes / ETH Tech Reports Site
To: Jack Johnson <knapjack at gmail.com>

Hi Jack,

> I'm trying to recall, it seems like back in the early V2 ports days,
> there was something strange like everyone was implementing their own
> mark and sweep garbage collector, but everything else was documented
> enough to get by. Does that ring a bell, or am I crazy?

No, you'll be pleased to know, you're not crazy. :)

It took me a little time to find the old "Oberon Technical Notes" paper
online.

This was very useful to me when I was trying to build a DOS/Windows
compiler based on Project Oberon in the dying years of the last century,
and way before I knew anyone at ETH.

The technical notes are hidden under a bushel, invisibly tacked on to the
1991 paper "On the linearization of graphs and writing symbol files", now
available along with a bunch of other stuff at

http://www.inf.ethz.ch/research/technical-reports/1990-1999.html

which is an amazing resource I REALLY wish was available back then.

Since you emailed me directly on this (you're not the only one!), I can't
with respect reply including the oberon list, where it might be helpful
for others.  Therefore if you agree I'd be grateful if you'd forward my
reply to the list (including this comment!) :)

Thanks,
Paul