[Oberon] Proof of Concept, ARM Linux Oberon

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Fri May 2 00:47:29 CEST 2014

Perhaps not many readers here are interested in ETHO on rPi?

I was disappointed at the reply to my query : "rPi's boot sequence?"
It's very complex: apparently the CPU doesn't take control until after the
"GPU" has booted.
We don't want to spend effort learning quirky new system?
Only simple/general system will pay-back our effort?

ALO looks nice on the rPi, and it's amazing that the full rPi-computer
is smaller than 25% of the WinTel CPU+atatch-air-conditioner!

I mentioned that I aborted investigation A2, because I could "never take the
bicycle out of the showroom". Similarly ALO need to be able to roam the
file tree and work on any directory.  When I was using V4, I managed to use
it to work on different directories [of text documents] although I've
forgotten exactly how.  Perhaps if we understood how/why the following
script <links V4 from it's resident-dir to where it currently accesses files>,
we could do similar for ALO ?

/usr/local/V4tmp/oberon-1.7.02/sob ==
#!/bin/bash

# change the line below if you have installed oberon to a different
# directory
export OBROOT=/usr/local/oberon

for f in `find $OBROOT -type d -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1`;  do
  rm `basename $f`
  if ! test -e `basename $f` ; then
          ln -s $f `basename $f` 2> /dev/null
  fi
done
rm root
ln -s $OBROOT root 2> /dev/null
OBERON="./:`find $OBROOT -type d | tr "\12" :`"
export OBERON
xset +fp $OBROOT/xfonts
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$OBROOT
$OBROOT/oberon $1 $2 $3 $4 $5  <-- ? what are these 5 args ?!

---------  end of mystery script.

Thanks,

== Chris Glur.

PS. I started using ALO's Decoder.Mod on some ARM binary-code,
but stopped when I saw that ARM seems very convoluted/irregular.