[Oberon] Oberon Starter Kit

Jack Johnson knapjack at gmail.com
Wed May 7 02:19:18 CEST 2014

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 8:17 PM, volkert at nivoba.de <volkert at nivoba.de> wrote:
> What is the path we want to evolve into the “Future Oberon”? (A) Project
> Oberon 2013 (B) ETH-Oberon or (C) AOS/A2?

I disagree with some of your conclusions but I think the perspective
is valuable.

I don't think we get to decide the adoption of any of these paths, but
the question would be can we facilitate any of these paths, either
independently or with synergy?

I could see a scenario where the V5 VM is ported to AOS/A2 (I'm kind
of surprised no one has done that for fun yet), and I could see
someone also rebuilding one or more of the various UNIX ports as
something in the spirit of V5. It's really about the interest in the
complier vs the interest in the OS vs the interest in the UI vs the
interest in the system, and the various overlapping interests.

We don't all share each of the interests, and I don't think it
benefits anyone to try to cajole others into caring about our
individual interests, and I think it's wrong to arbitrarily determine
that the various interests lack independent value, but if there's
strong collaboration on the overlapping bits there might be benefit to
the whole community of interested people.

-Jack