[Oberon] extending ETHO to function-composition syntax.

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Sun Jun 8 15:15:49 CEST 2014

From:	eas lab <lab.eas at gmail.com>
Date:	Sun, 8 Jun 2014 06:55:17 +0200
> 1. replace the sequence of MarkedViewers by just 2, which are cycled.

Interesting proposal.

In the TUI, the input viewer of a command can be identified by the
* cursor.  When the command opens an output viewer, the * might be
put there.  Just one idea.  Likely there are better.

> 2. perhaps replace the MarkedViewers, which take up screen space,
>   with an <invisible carrier> like unix does ?

For interactive work, the result of each step being visible in
a viewer can be helpful for debugging and understanding.  I'd
suggest keeping successive viewers.  Once a calculation is
working properly, the whole sequence can be compiled as a new
command.

> ... function-composition ...

FWIIW, composition is a central concept in Category Theory.
Desktops.OpenDoc  "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_theory"
<i>Conceptual Mathematics</i> by Lawvere & Schanuel is a
recommendable introduction.

Regards,               ... Peter E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12
Tel +1 360 639 0202  http://carnot.yi.org/  Bcc: peter at easthope. ca