[Oberon] OPCL Portable Oberon-2 compiler help?

Oleg N. Cher allot at bk.ru
Sat Aug 23 19:45:50 CEST 2014

Hi Matic,

OPCL is the same compiler and the same linker that is in ETH Oberon
PlugIn (v2.5 or 2.6 PreRelease). It's only adapted for Windows command
line. So you can use documentation on the ETH Oberon.

Some forum posts on OPCL (in Russian, use Google translator):

http://zx.oberon2.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13

Also see at the included samples, of course.

I recommend you use XDev/WinDev instead of OPCL. OPCL has not:

- WinApi bindings
- 64 bit code generation
- automated building of exe (you must create .Link files manually)
- industrial quality of machine code

I would say that OPCL is semi-ready for serious work.

But all these problems solved in XDev, especially if you want to develop
for Windows, of course. XDev is the way between "mainstream" and Oberon
technologies. Perhaps XDev is not very serious project too, but for me
it is much more interesting. Now I'm totally focused on XDev.

XDev is based on BlackBox Component Builder (OMinc) and Ofront (Software
Templ OG) and implements simple using Oberon-2 language (with
extensions) for Windows and other platforms thru translation Oberon-2
modules to C sources and using any C compiler (GCC, MINGW, DJGPP, Turbo
C, SDCC (Small Device C Compiler), Tiny C (tcc), Intel C++, Visual C++,
Watcom C, etc) to build target executables.

I am successfully using this method for generating programs for 8 bit
CPU (Zilog Z80) in subsystem ZXDev.

http://zx.oberon2.ru/dash.htm
http://zx.oberon2.ru/durak.htm
http://zx.oberon2.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=38
http://zx.oberon2.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4&start=10#p1117

(if you don't want to read in Russian, just see the screenshots)

Also see here:
http://zx.oberon2.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=189&p=1180#p1180
MoveWindow is example written in Oberon/WinApi for Windows 32/64 bit. It
was adapted from BlackBox example from the article
http://oberoncore.ru/wiki/blackbox/make_exe

Overall, XDev has a much broader usage than I've shown here, though to
use a minimum of effort on developing and supporting the development
environment itself.

P.S. I understand that the use of the C language as extra level is a bad
idea, but still very tempting to have a high quality machine code and a
wide number of target platforms. Ofront is highy customizable, you can
specify size of types (INTEGER = 2 or 4 bytes), etc configuring the
features of build a project in a very wide range.