[Oberon] Porting the OP2 compiler

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Wed Oct 15 12:33:25 CEST 2014

... or you could read "The Oberon System Family" by four of those guys:

"Oberon simultaneously refers to a modular, extensible operating system and
an object-oriented programming language developed for its implementation.
While the original Oberon System had been conceived as the native operating
system for a custom-built workstation, further implementations for several
commercial platforms were developed later and are described here. All of
these implementations are based on an efficient, retargetable Oberon
compiler, and each provides a complete Oberon environment and the original
library interface. This paper describes the structure of the compiler,
summarizes the experience gained in adapting it for various CISC and RISC
processors, and presents some empirical performance data. It also sheds
light on the task of grafting an operating environment onto an existing
operating system."

http://e-collection.library.ethz.ch/eserv/eth:3424/eth-3424-01.pdf

Conclusion:

"Due to its simplicity and orthogonality, each of the implementations
described here could be completed in a single man-year or less."

Regards,
Chris

CFB Software
Oberon for Cortex-M4, Cortex-M3 and ARM7
http://www.astrobe.com