[Oberon] Oberon-1 or Oberon-2?

"ɹǝzıuıʇnɹɔs ǝoɾ" scruty at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Oct 31 16:35:36 CET 2014

On 31/10/14 12:00, oberon-request at lists.inf.ethz.ch wrote:
> Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 20:06:36 -0400
> From: skulski at pas.rochester.edu
> Subject: Re: [Oberon] Oberon-1 or Oberon-2?

> The progress must consist of single steps. I posed a question of getting
> Oberon-2 to work on the new Oberon System 2013. The HW is a separate
> question that needs a separate effort. Two steps, one at a time.

the task is to compile an OP2 on risc5 with oberon-7 compiler
and make it emit risc5 code:

1. select a suitable [Enhanced] OP2/backend (sparc, pa-risc, or powerPC?)

OP2 is written in oberon[-1]. to change the source
from oberon to oberon-07 is trivial according to NW's experience
modifying his oberon-07 compiler from o-1 to o-7.

2. modify OP2 to emit risc5 code, taking code-gen samples from the o-7 compiler.

3. extend OP2 front (and back)-end with o-7 extensions (I forgot which — for low-level programming)

rewards: complete code base of V4 would compile on riscv (given enough main memory)
— if the V4 api is same as on risc5 oberon system.

have I forgotten something?