[Oberon] Parallela Board - quite similar to Felix Friedrichs new design

greim greim at schleibinger.com
Tue Nov 4 20:05:33 CET 2014

Hi All,

Adapteva is now shipping (via RS components) their first boards.
Its also a Zynq (ARM + FPGA) as frontend, and a very clever 16 processor
risc+fpu processor slave.
The design seems to be a mix of the Parallax Propeller, the old
Transputer and the GreenArray Forth chip.
Each singel risc cpu has its own FPU!
The ARM is used as Linux frontend, the FPGA as bridge to the so called
Epiphany processor.

Some more infos at:
<http://www.rs-online.com/designspark/electronics/blog/picking-the-right-parallella-board>

The boards are available from below 100 EUR.
One of the main designers seems to be a former Analog Devices DSP
designers. Ericsson (the guys with ERLANG!) is beneath Carmel one of the
investors.

I am writing this posting, because the design ideas are very similar to
the design described by Felix Friedrich. The compiler is unfortunately C
(boring..).

I have got my "Desktop" board last week. I hope i will find some time to
play with it on the WE.

Regarding all the discussions last week about
ProjectOberon <-> Desktop PC (meaning AOS, HTML Browser etc.):

I must point out that the PO (i call it FPGA Oberon) is an embedded
system with a fantastic integrated development environment and user
interface.
In the same way a modern PC is a lousy (friendly spoken)  embedded
system (100W+, no 24/7/365, no reliable software etc.) with a fantastic
(gaudy?) user interface.

Regards

Markus Greim

PS: i have already an empty Papilio duo board here. I would like to
avoid the soldering adventure of a Spartan-6, but it seems i can't avoid it.