[Oberon] email usage in Oberon systems. Was: Re: A2, targeting a Geode SC3200.

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Thu Jan 29 17:03:22 CET 2015

Chris,

From:	eas lab <lab.eas at gmail.com>
Date:	Thu, 29 Jan 2015 11:23:15 +0200
> Although I'm very happy with ETH-Linux-Oberon, I can't see how to use
> it to solve my painfull problem of needing to use the standard http
> interface for my gmail [alternatively to be always on-line].

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gmail#Security , mail
can be retrieved by POP3 or IMAP, both under TLS.

The POP3 case is the simplest.  With UnixAos, getmail can retrieve
messages and append to the Oberon MailMessages file, which is a
variant of an mbox file.  Ref. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbox .
MailMessages differs from mbox by ending each message with the
three characters "." <CR> <LF>. getmail can invoke a trivial external
filter to append these characters to a message.  The filter is easily
made as a shell script or awk script or something else.  I've never
used ETH-Linux-Oberon but getmail should work just as well there.

As far as I know, ETH-Linux-Oberon and UnixAos don't lock MailMessages.
(A correction is welcome.)
Ref. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbox#File_locking
If getmail changes MailMessages while Oberon Mail is active, there will
be trouble.  Therefore getmail should be invoked just prior to starting
Oberon and this can be automated using a script.  To update MailMessages,
you will need to quit Oberon and start it again.

If another complication is added, new mail can be retrieved without quiting
Oberon.  Have getmail retrieve to an mbox independent of MailMessages.
Then have qpopper deliver mail to Oberon.  The POP3 server cited in Oberon.Text
will be localhost.  With this arrangement, getmail can be activated manually.
Also it can be scheduled by cron.  Also it can run just prior to Oberon
starting, as in the preceeding paragraph.

With getmail and qpopper, you should have "good old Oberon mail behaviour"
with the possible additional detail of starting getmail manually.
Activation of getmail by incrond might even be possible.  I haven't tried it.

A2 has IMAP and not POP3.  But the A2 client can be configured to retrieve
messages and delete from the server.  In other words, IMAP can similate
POP3 behaviour as a special case.  But I suspect that you won't be happy with
the windowing interface in A2 and in UnixAos.  If you use either, you will
prefer to stay in the Oberon subsystem.  Therefore IMAP is really not a concern.

Regards,                   ... Peter E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12
Tel +1 360 639 0202   http://carnot.yi.org/   Bcc: peter at easthope. ca