[Oberon] Oberon 3 on Windows 7, PELinker, Windows executable

Oleg N. Cher allot at bk.ru
Sun Mar 15 00:35:29 CET 2015

Hi, Dieter,

Why do you want use exactly Oberon 3 and PELinker? May be that it is not
very ideal to solve your task.

Another variants to develop *.exe for Windows:

1. OPCL - Oberon Portable Compiler & Linker (ETH Oberon compiler adapted
for command-line):

   https://sourceforge.net/projects/opcl

2. BlackBox Component Builder:

   http://www.zinnamturm.eu/downloads.htm
   http://www.oberon.ch/blackbox.html
   http://blackboxframework.org

Component Pascal compiler (from BlackBox):

   https://sourceforge.net/projects/cp-dev/

   ( Component Pascal is a small superset of Oberon-2 )

How to build stand-alone command-line executable under BlackBox:

   http://zx.oberon2.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=240

Modules CmdLine and Console for BlackBox:

   https://github.com/Oleg-N-Cher/XDev/blob/master/Bb/Mod/CmdLine.odc
   https://github.com/Oleg-N-Cher/XDev/blob/master/Bb/Mod/Console.odc

3. XDev - Oberon-2 over translation to C - based on BlackBox and Ofront:

   https://sourceforge.net/projects/bb-xdev/

   Subsystem WinDev for target Windows 32/64 you can download at:

   https://github.com/Oleg-N-Cher/XDev/

Also there are traditional IDE environments:

4. XDS (Modula-2/Oberon-2 compiler for Windows and Linux):

   http://www.excelsior-usa.com/xds.html

5. POW! (old and does not install on Win64):

   http://www.fim.uni-linz.ac.at/pow/

Oberon 3 has not WinApi bindings, if you need it.

Bindings to WinApi are present in BlackBox, XDev, XDS and POW!

Also BlackBox may uses Windows COM-interfaces.

Personally I recommend XDev. It's the one (known for me) Oberon-2
implementation for generating not only 32 bit code, but 64 bit too - for
Windows and Linux (except pure translators to C - Ofront, OO2C and
XDS-C). Using XDev-style development you can build your code with help
of GCC for any target, if you'll need.

Now XDev is under development. And I can help you to start with it, just
write me e-mail.

Dieter wrote:
>   Hi,
>
> I am new to this list, but do have some 20 years experience with Oberon
> on Windows.
> Still there are things which I do not fully understand, e.g. PELinker
> and Oberon debugger.
>
> Right now I am working on an application which translates MusicXML (a
> proprietary language to describe musical notes) into another input
> language, called PMX, which in turn generates TeX-code for typesetting
> notes.
>
> Is there anywhere out in Cyber Space someone, who could give me a
> helping hand on how to use PELinker in order to transform an
> Oberon-Module into a Windows *.exe, so that I can call it from the
> WIndows command line in the following form:
> /myprogram.exe "path to input file" "path to output file"/
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Dieter

Oleg N. Cher
VEDAsoft Oberon Club