[Oberon] Oberon 3 on Windows 7, PELinker, Windows executable

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Tue Mar 17 15:04:15 CET 2015

Maybe not. You already have the 'Files' module in your list of Modules. That
seems to be a wrapper around the corresponding Kernel32 routines so you may
just be able to use the Files procedures as is. As before, just 'suck it and
see'.

> Also I write a lot of control information onto the System.Log with
> the Out-Module.
> Will this work during the EXE, or do I have to replace the Out-
> statements by something else, e.g. writing into a third file?

That is different as System.Log is a UI feature. I guess that you would
either display the info to the console (like you have done in HelloCon) or,
yes, write it to a third file.

> Although I always got along without using the Oberon Debugger, I
> would like to have some more information on how to use it.

I haven't yet needed to use the debugger either - the traps usually have
infinitely more information than I need to work out what is going wrong.
Somebody else might be prepared to volunteer to help you with the debugger
if you find you have a need for it.

> et cetera
> Which Oberon version have you been using, Chris?

ETH PlugIn Oberon for WindowsTM / Win32 2.5 (7.2.2009)

> Or should I move to Native Oberon on Linux, which seems to be
> actively worked upon recently?

If you would prefer to work on Linux rather than Windows that would be an
option.

I do 99% of my PC-related Oberon work on Windows 7 using the Gardens Point
Component Pascal (i.e. Oberon-2+) compiler. It is still supported by John
Gough the author and, as it is a .NET based system it currently works on all
current 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows and more than likely many new
versions yet to come. Links to the system are here:

http://www.cfbsoftware.com/gpcp

Regards,
Chris