[Oberon] SRAM vs. BRAM

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Tue May 12 04:23:46 CEST 2015

Markus Greim wrote:-

>..what I really
>like about the Oberon system is that it's so simple and easy to
>understand how it works, and this would add a bunch of fairly complex
>code.
>The price for the Pipistrello and the Oberon wing is about 200$.
>Thats, compared with the Raspberry PI quite expensive, but we aren't
>talk about 5 Mio. pcs. here.

rPi is a replacement PC & I should expect, more so the rPi2 with more
than 2 USB-ports. But it's not for education, because it's closed.
Even the boot-SD is *LABELED* <MicrosoftDOS>.
And being linux it's not real-time.
Also it uses a lot of current? - 250mA. What do mobile devices use?
My one rPi in a shoebox with a 6V acco + a fat-diode has been delivering
TestToSpeech, for 18 months, where the only control is the powerswitch,
which <marks> the sound-files according to the stage-in-the-sound that
power is cut: a kind of time-modulation.

What's remarkable is that after thousands of cut-power-in-flight cycles
the SD shows no problem.  These semiconductor disks are remarkable.
But the software for USB [which I load the sound files on to] is
probably more that ETHO-total.

>After some fiddling with the Linux dd command for writing a micro SD
>card it runs really out of the box!

I can't remember if <PO2013> gave the hopefully simple driver for SD.
If so, that could reduce dependance on USB?
PS2 for mouse, kybrd is simpler?  For an educational project.
Is HDMI complex?

== Chris Glur.