[Oberon] New FPGA Oberon board

skulski at pas.rochester.edu skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Tue May 19 21:44:59 CEST 2015

> Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 09:13:58 -0300
> From: "Walter Gallegos" <waltergallegos at vera.com.uy>

> Implement the RISC5 into a very low end FPGA as Spartan-3 is
> excellent to show the virtues of the project
> but has not many practical uses

I second this. I proposed to adopt Artix in the FG484 footprint because it
spans the entire Artix spectrum in one footprint. A low-end Artix can be
used for Oberon System development, while a high-end Artix can be used for
real applications. All with the same board.

> Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 19:50:46 -0300
> From: "Walter Gallegos" <waltergallegos at vera.com.uy>

>> You are talking of two opposite solutions in one sentence.
> Yes, I know, we build FMCs cards for fast prototyping.
> My intention was mark the difference between industry
> and hobby standards.

BBB is not necessarily hobby when it is used to drive CNC machines.
Likewise, the FPGA Oberon can be used for serious projects if it runs on
serious hardware. The Artix board can cover both areas. The chip itself
can be either low-end or high-end in the same footprint, the GPIO pins can
be used to drive some serious projects, while the HDMI can be used to
develop GUIs for such projects.

> Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 03:08:38 -0400
> From: Bill Buzzell <captbill279 at gmail.com>

> Aha! It appears that there are 14 pins still available

Fourteen pins are not nearly enough. If we adopt BBB format then we will
have 69 GPIO pins plus 7 ADC inputs. (Note that Artix has a built-in ADC
similar to the one on the BBB board.)

Sixty nine pins is quite a resource that will allow serious projects.

> A "BeagleBoard Wing" could be easily realized as an add on.

A "BeagleBoard Wing" was never proposed.

Thank you,
Wojtek