[Oberon] Oberon/Linux Revival

Richard Hable informujo at aon.at
Thu Jul 2 11:44:05 CEST 2015

On 2015-07-01 23:31, Peter Matthias wrote:

> latest version now is available on http://oberon.wikidot.com .

Wow, this brings back memories! I just tried it out, and it is amazing
how fast and efficient the Oberon system works on an old netbook, which
is too weak for just about everything else.

Unfortunately, it also brings back the more unpleasant memories:
insufficient documentation, missing object files--even the Browser
module for showing module interfaces is missing, and when I try to
compile the source, there is an "undeclared identifier" error message at
position "1234", or something.

And the usual complete lack of source code documentation: it does not
even say what a module is supposed to do at the beginning.

So, while I could probably get my old Oberon programs to compile and run
again, the system is certainly only usably by enthusiasts with a lot of
time on their hands, and nothing to show off to the outside world.

> It is now at a stage where I wanted it when I started the project.
> Unless bugs are reported development will calm down.

This is bad news.

Sorry about the harsh words, I certainly do not want to offend anyone.
The Linux Revival distribution certainly serves an inside circle of
Oberon experts. But we should not be suprised that the rest of the world
ignores it.

Best wishes,
Richard