[Oberon] Oberon/Linux Revival

Peter Matthias PeterMatthias at web.de
Thu Jul 2 19:33:52 CEST 2015

Am 02.07.2015 um 11:44 schrieb Richard Hable:
> On 2015-07-01 23:31, Peter Matthias wrote:
>
>> latest version now is available on http://oberon.wikidot.com .
>
> Wow, this brings back memories! I just tried it out, and it is amazing
> how fast and efficient the Oberon system works on an old netbook, which
> is too weak for just about everything else.

Speed was one goal in development.

> Unfortunately, it also brings back the more unpleasant memories:
> insufficient documentation, missing object files--even the Browser
> module for showing module interfaces is missing, and when I try to
> compile the source, there is an "undeclared identifier" error message at
> position "1234", or something.

I see assembler data file (OPA.Data) missing. Besides that, all should
compile on X86. Will add OPA.Data likely today. Browser is not missing
but seems to expect symbol files in olr directory, not olr/x86. Will
also check this later. Documentation is as good as volounteers write it.

> And the usual complete lack of source code documentation: it does not
> even say what a module is supposed to do at the beginning.
>
> So, while I could probably get my old Oberon programs to compile and run
> again, the system is certainly only usably by enthusiasts with a lot of
> time on their hands, and nothing to show off to the outside world.
>
>> It is now at a stage where I wanted it when I started the project.
>> Unless bugs are reported development will calm down.
>
> This is bad news.

It means that I am quite satiesfied as it is. There are interesting
other possible projects like porting it to IoT devices like Black Swift,
using OLR as an editor replacing nano or vi...

Regards,
Peter