[Oberon] Astrobe for FPGA RISC5 Oberon

skulski at pas.rochester.edu skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Sat Jul 25 05:35:38 CEST 2015

Chris:

  this is great. I am convinced that Project Oberon makes a lot of sense
in the embedded space. Your effort is a big step in this direction.

FYI, we are using an embedded version of Project Oberon in the FPGA. Our
approach was kinda brute force, but it worked. We used only one MODULE*
(note the star!) and we put all the code right there. The MODULE* was
originally meant as a bootloader. However, there is really no reason why
the bootloader should stay a bootloader. So we made a utility module out
of it. It worked as expected. The drawback was that we lost the Oberon
safety net because the MODULE* is compiled like a SYSTEM. It was not a
showstopper in our case. Another drawback was loss of the modular
structure of the language because there can be only one MODULE* in the
system.

Your approach looks much better to me. I think that Astrobe can turn RISC5
into a super-Picoblaze. When finished it will certainly deserve an article
in the Xilinx online magazine. It will probably make it easier to port
Oberon System to Altera as well.

Regards,
Wojtek