[Oberon] Oberon/Linux Revival and Emacs.

Jan de Kruyf jan.de.kruyf at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 10:56:54 CEST 2015

Hi Chris,
In the past I did try to get away from Emacs, but I did not succeed :(

So now I gave up. Mainly because in general you may find a programming
language specific extension for any language easily.

For Ada programming (which I do for a living at the moment) it is a
complete working environment with lots of templates and with gdb and all.

For Oberon it is less advanced, it only has a few (3) skeletons. But it has
auto indent and syntax coloring.
And I know the editor, so it works for me.

All these things are implemented in emacs as lisp packages on top of the
(very) basic editor / lisp interpreter.
You might not agree with that basic concept, but there is no denying that
it has proven itself.
There is a feature for everything and if you want something extra then just
delve into the lisp part.

So I used one of the basic features of most language extentions. Emacs
reads the first and the last few lines of any file on loading and decides
if there are special actions required.
In this specific case I set the character coding (mac-roman) so emacs
understands Oberons newline sequence.
and the tab distance (2 characters) so it looks like a Wirth original in
emacs but with syntax colours.

Unfortunately emacs out of the box does not handle the Oberon starter and
trailer very well, (needs more lisp) so I just strip them, and when I open
/ save in Oberon they will automatically be added again.

Hope this explains my doings.

j.