[Oberon] Oberon Digest, Vol 135, Issue 14

Magnus Karlsson magnus at saanlima.com
Wed Aug 26 18:28:38 CEST 2015

Interesting.

One concern I have here is the complete lack of revision control for the
RISC5 Verilog source files.  When I started to play with Oberon for
Pipistrello I grabbed the Verilog source files from
http://www.projectoberon.com in a file called RISC5Verilog.zip, where
all included files were dated Feb 15, 2014.  Later someone brought to my
attention that I wasn't using "the latest version" and sure enough the
file RISC5Verilog.zip was now different - three files now had a time
stamp of March 3, 2015 (RISC5Top.v, RISC5.v and RISC5.ucf) - without any
indication on the web site that the zip file had been updated.  A quick
diff showed that a GPIO port had been added (which was not a big concern
for me) as well as changes to the core RISC5 processor with no
documentation or even a comment at all regarding the reason for the
changes (big concern for me, bug fixes or added functionallity?).

I think a bare minimum here is to include a date in the name of the zip
file (e.g. call it RISC5Verilop_ 20150303.zip) so that it's clear to all
what version they look at.  I think it's also bare minimum to have a
short revision history at the top of each source file that dates the
change and gives a reason for the change.

Cheers,
Magnus