[Oberon] Programming in Oberon

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 12:11:55 CET 2015

Thanks.
Since I started using ETHO a 'while back', [when my ISP said I
couldn't use Win3.1
and must buy W95] I'm more interested in extending its facilities.

How many of you know about the astounding [decades old] EditKeys.Tool ?

You just type:
Suitablename: M   and hit <InsertKey> and your "Suitablename: M"
is replaced by:
MODULE Suitablename;
.. <rest of syntactically valid template>
END Suitablename.

Recursively, after eg.
 Proc'sName:P
entering<Insert> replaces <that line> with the syntactically valid
<Proc Template>.

Unfortunately this brilliant macroTool, mostly just intends to
remember the syntax for you.
The other MORE IMPORTANT function of a menu-system, is missing: that it replaces
the need to remember by the ability to RECOGNISE.
Which is related to functional composition modularity: economy of mental effort.

ETHO is already partly on the way to being able to do functional/compositional/
piping style programming. [by manually passing the data through a sequence of
textFrame]. So my "functional query" won't be found in historic Oberon
literature.

EditKeys comes into the picture, since when you investigate your Nth language,
eg. Haskell [or see 'trankvila' mentioned in USEnet c.l.oberon and
claiming to be
Oberon related] you don't want to *LEARN AGAIN*. You'd better just put this
next-new language to your existing smartMacro/SyntaxAwareEditor and test/use
it. And you will learn the syntax by usage -- as a child does.

== Chris Glur.