[Oberon] OberonStation

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 04:35:43 CET 2015

On Tue, November 3, 2015 10:32 am, Eric Scharff wrote:
]> ... I no longer have any PS2 keyboards or mice.

EP wrote:-

]Remark: seems that Niklaus and Paul chose PS/2 rather than
]USB deliberately.

Yes, USB is magic, but it's a software monster.

] Observation: last week a recycling bin here contained about
] 30 ps/2 mice; most of which, still functional.  For the cost
] of postage I can send you one.  Sorry to say, the bulk of
] them now on their way to the fiery furnace.

Hovering above, and making our little technical discussions irrelevant
is the MarketShareBattle/s.

Ps/2 was fine. But was it that the kybrd & mouse ports were not
interchangable? As NW said: costs are determined by the wire-count,
rather than the software bloat.

It's become absurd: when I wanted to connect the cigarette-box sized
RPi lying next to the PC, I'm told that I must use ethernet-technology,
for SECURITY considerations!

I can't read any internet publications which contain mathematical
notation because of the apparent multitude of tex...etc. formats.
Otherwise competent posters now have 3-bytes for their <single quote
char> because of some new fad ....

It was the forced need to read the then growing pdf-fad, which caused me
to move from Native-Oberon to LEO: which kept & extended N-O's facilities.

locate chrome | wc -l == 441
means last year's installed [new fad] browser needed 441 files.
I've hardly used it, so they are not my files.
It's completely out of control.
Like the US auto-industry in the late 50's, before the Japanese over-ran
them.

== Who cares?