[Oberon] Numerical CASE Statements in Project Oberon

Jan de Kruyf jan.de.kruyf at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 12:42:17 CET 2015

JohnR good morning to you.

Thank you for your long and thoughtful contribution.
It sums up most of the criteria in the discussion.

> Prof. Wirth intended that IF-ELSIF-ELSIF-ELSE statement chains be used
when the subset is sparse. . .

I think that is how most people understand and use it today. but sometimes
a case is more readable.

Here are some quotes from my Scott 'Programming Language Pragmatics' book,
besides the speed facts you already quoted:
---
The case statements of Algol W and its descendants provide alternative
syntax for
a special case of nested if . . . then . . . else . When each condition
compares the
same integer expression to a different compile-time constant . . .

   Rather than test its expression sequentially against a series of
possible values,
the case statement is meant to compute an address to which it jumps in a
single
instruction. . . .

. . . . ..  it can decide which form of target code to generate. For the
sake
of simplicity, most compilers employ only some of the possible
implementations.
Many use binary search in lieu of hashing. Some generate only indexed jump
tables;
others only that plus sequential testing. Users of less sophisticated
compilers may
need to restructure their case statements if the generated code turns out
to be
unexpectedly large or slow.

. . . . . More significantly, languages differ in whether they
permit label ranges, whether they permit (or require) a default ( else )
clause, and
in how they handle a value that fails to match any label at run time.
   Standard Pascal does not permit a default clause: all values on which to
take
action must appear explicitly in label lists. It is a dynamic semantic
error for
the expression to evaluate to a value that does not appear. Most Pascal
compilers
permit the programmer to add a default clause, labeled either else or
otherwise ,
as a language extension. Modula allows an optional else clause. If one does
not
appear in a given case statement, then it is a dynamic semantic error for
the
tested expression to evaluate to a missing value. Ada requires arm labels
to cover
all possible values in the domain of the tested expression's type . . .

--------
So
1. it does appear that an ELSE is a valued addition to a case statement.
Compiler implementations
    of any laguage in general gravitate towards it. Also your statement :
 "The programmer will presumably also have provided a friendlier error
mechanism than a raw error trap."
    points that way.
2. The Ada implementation is there because Ada encourages subranges like
Pascal.
    But in practice the 'Others' arm functions as a catch all.
3. I did a short comparison and although a jumptable is theoretically the
fastest,
    it needs some associated code that makes most smallish case statements,
at least on RISC,
    as fast with a binary search algorithm. Only in biggish case statements
(like in ORS.Mod for instance)
    will you notice a difference.
    And then there is the space implication on small machines for a table,
as you observed.

> the hybrid case of dense subsubsets. . . .
This is basically search tree with page lookup. There is certainly merit in
that for big data handling, but
we are talking Oberon on micro controllers here.
One thing has been missing from the discussion so far, that is:
"How does the average user use this feature."
I think the biggest I have seen is in industrial ethernet comms packages.
(PC to microcontroller board etc.)
And there, if speed is really an issue, one could certainly do page lookup
first, say with a case of ranges,
which is fast in the construction I have cooked up.

Ok thats enough talk for today.

Cheers,

j.