[Oberon] Functional programming style for Oberon?

Lars O noreply at z505.com
Mon Jan 11 10:24:26 CET 2016

eas lab wrote:
> Some years ago when the OO-paradigm was at it's peek, ETHO was extended
> to handle procedure types, which could be passed as arguments.
>
> There's great advantages in avoiding temporary-fads, so I never exercised
>  OOP. Now [using LEO] that it's less easy to access my old NativeOberon
> files, I failed to find the documentation, and example uses of the <passing
> PROCs as arguments>.
>

> Where should I look?
>

> Can Oberon procedure types facilitate the <functional/compositional>
> style of programming?  Which is NOT a passing fad.

You might want to read Wirth more... Wirth has articles such as Through
the Looking Glass.... and he seems to think Functional programming is a
fad, but that OOP has something to offer us....

Which is why his languages have OOP in them or advanced structured
programming.

Essentially OOP is just extending the type system further than before,
whereas a lot of pathetic OOP languages use snake oil terms like "class"
in place of type.  An object is an instance of a class. Hmm. Why not an
instance of a type?

Why is it even an object and not just a struct? a struct or record, is an
instance of a type. Now we have no OOP, just advanced structured
programming...

Wirth seems to think OOP solves the parallelization problem better than
functional programming if you check his articles. Through the looking
glass might be the one, or there are others. I am simply too lazy to link
to them and not feeling like searching for it.