[Oberon] Numerical CASE Statements in Project Oberon

Bob Walkden bob at web-options.com
Mon Jan 11 11:21:03 CET 2016

On 11 Jan 2016, at 09:54, Lars O <noreply at z505.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Or how about communication? i.e. why doesn't Wirth participate in
> developer discussions regarding languages? I think we are stuck in the
> 1970's where one programmer writes a compiler and has zero feedback from
> its users, because the God programmers knows better than all his users.
> This is one area where languages like GoLang are better off - their lead
> developers actually participate in discussions, criticisms, ... they
> actually COMMUNICATE with each other. Wow. They communicate, like people.
> Is wirth an alien?

He's a teacher, and obviously a good one. That is one of the most effective forms of communication. Almost all of his work seems to have been done in collaboration with others.

I was never his student, but his books are among the best computer science writing that I know of, and have been immeasurably useful in my own computing education. The clarity of his writing is quite extraordinary by any standards; more so when compared with most CS literature.

He is one of the very best communicators I know of.