[Oberon] Re (2): Communicating with aliens

R. P. de Jong rdjong at mac.com
Thu Jan 14 03:23:11 CET 2016

Hi Joerg, Peter, Paul Reed, Others

Agree the differences in arrow-key to ASCII mapping is unfortunate.
I guess since in Project Oberon the arrow keys have not been used until recently (afaik), nobody paid much attention to their ascii codes. Personally, i don’t even know which ascii codes the FPGA and Windows emulator system use for the arrow keys and if these codes were consciously chosen (considering that they are different on FPGA and the Windows emulator, as you mention).

In my opinion it is practically unavoidable to have different Input.Mod implementations for various systems, unless you allow only the FPGA and its standard keyboard. In Oberon Workstation, the Input.Mod has a implementation that is almost empy because we don’t need to assemble ascii from key-scan codes, modifier keys and key-up/down information. You might as well edit this module to translate the current DC1..DC4 codes to anything that you consider practical for the moment.

If Prof. Wirth himself and/or Paul Reed would provide a resolution consisting of 4 ascii control codes to represent the arrow keys (also in the FPGA system and Windows emulator), i’ll be happy to adopt these in the next release of Oberon Workstation. Although we have a considerable amount of users nowadays (since someone mentioned the app on HN/YC), it is still not too painful to change the arrow codes i guess.

Regards,
Roel P. de Jong