[Oberon] Non Oberon code in Oberon

skulski at pas.rochester.edu skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Wed Jan 20 01:53:38 CET 2016

>Since the unit of memory is a byte, how would this help?

The objective is to move logic calculations to hardware, where the unit of
memory is a bit. This statement requires some elaboration. The "bit" can
be stored in block memory (which Oberon uses), in distributed memory
(which it could use) or in a flip-flop, which is outside the Oberon scope.
The latter is of interest for High Level Synthesis, because flip-flops can
become connected with gates, muxes, and wires, which collectively comprise
"logic fabric". A very fast logic function can be built with these
resources.

>How would you store a one-bit boolean?

In a flip-flop.

It is a vision that used to be a pipe dream, but now it is implemented as
High Level Synthesis by Xilinx and possibly others. I think that the NW
vision was merging Oberon and LOLA, but it was too hard at the time. Now
one could possibly map Oberon functions to the High Level Synthesis
technology bypassing LOLA. Such a topic is worth a thesis. I am not
advocating it here to the distributed Oberon crowd. But some academic
researchers may be in the listening mode, who knows.

Wojtek