[Oberon] Particularly Useful Oberon Implementations

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 02:18:07 CET 2016

Why I use LEO:
  you need access to the outside universe;
  eg. N-O was ok decades ago, but when USB was introduced,
   it couldn't be expected to handle that YET..
   Nor new-fad formats which popup pdf .... Latex.
Microsoft can of course handle [and often causes] new formats,
 but it's closed. Ie. vendor lock-in..
 Pay the money and use like someone else has designed your usage.

Linux has a big developer community: so offers all the formats.
Using Linux + LEO, you can view pdf, LateX [this is giving me problems
eg. for math formulars] and the various M$ formats..
Plus hardware drivers, which Oberon can't yet have.

Q: So why use LEO if Linux can do every thing?
A: No system [linux-based-wily comes the closest] gives you the
 * multiple, conveniently arrangable <windows> to be able to see
  multiple files TOGETHER. Any serious job, needs 4..6 files open
  and viewable at the same time..
  The ability to easily [without looking away from the screen] add
  colors to text, helps with complex tasks.

LEO [riding on Lixux] can reach out to the universe of files, to
access any ETHO, *nix, M$ files [is MAC like ETHO?].

LEO can run *nix commands and mamipulate the commands and their
results in its SUPERIOR environment. Often wily is more convenient.
Any serious/complex job need the log-progress of the commands and
their results to be recorded/filed -- best together.

ETHO's [copied by wily] method of having the commands selectable from
menus, without typing errors and the need to look away from the screen
is unsurpassed. The log and all live results are captured - together.

LNO, ALO, ALR have got the nice ETHO interface described above,
and the FrameBuffer version/s are impressive.
But the workings are trapped in the original directory of the
installation, unlike LEO: where you can easily work with a.
  M$ file on a USB-stik & a.
  1998 N-O file on an old IDE &.
  the *nix pdftotext of a *nix fetched file &
  other info in M$, *nix, ETHO [?Mac] format.
TOGETHER on the SAME SCREEN.

LNO, ALO, ALR needs <linking> to files outside of the launch directory,
instead of just reaching out...

Fetching 4 files from 50 partitions [N-O caused us to have many partns],
on 3 devices; may require multiple commands:
 `locate <keyString> | grep <filter string>
 `examine several directory-lists`q
 `examine some of the likely files: in any of 3 formats`
That ONE cycle to fetch the first file has used already 2O commands.

To cope with the workload you need the FUNCTIONAL/piping facility of:
 show me the list of mounted-partitions |
 give me THAT one [pointed at without keybrding errors] |
 show me THAT directory |
 give me THAT file |
 find any <key string> in the file |
 copy the relevant text section of the file to my log ...
all without needing to look-away from the screen and lose
concentration.

== Chris Glur.