[Oberon] oberonstation vs. a $9 computer

Ken Boak ken.boak at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 20:18:18 CET 2016

Lars,

Perhaps you could choose a cheaper FPGA - such as the Altera iCE40 series
 ($7) and a couple of 512K x 16 SRAMs at $13.35.

Then there's the FT2232 at $6.69, and then something like a FTDI Vinculum
to act as USB host at $3.99.

A 2.25" x 4"   4 layer board  will be about   $10 from China - but MOQ is
5off. Then there's about $5 to $10 of assorted other components like the
connectors, voltage regulator, LEDS, microSD card.

So we are up to almost $65 and you haven't even placed a single component.
Add another 25% for assembly. What about programming and testing?

Right, board built, untested for $81.25.  Do you need to make a profit on
this?

Now you just have to port the risc 5 across to the Altera iCE 40 - which
should take a good FPGA engineer about a week.....

Alternatively you could run Oberon under Linux on a Pi or a chip,  or
perhaps just  order a $3 PS/2 mouse online.

Enjoy........