[Oberon] oberonstation vs. a $9 computer

Magnus Karlsson magnus at saanlima.com
Tue Feb 9 16:42:22 CET 2016

Ken, you are very close to the actual numbers.

A few comments:
* The iCE40 series is not an option - too small both in cell count and
pin count.  Even the Xilinx Spartan6 in 144 QFP package wont have enough
pins so you have to go BGA which will increase the assembly cost.
* You have to build at least 100 boards to get a reasonable assembly
cost, which will tie up something like $10000 in capital.  If you are
lucky you will sell all of the boards or you will get stuck with unsold
inventory.
* The assembly house typically have a one-time setup cost (stencils, p&p
programming etc.) at typically around $300 (or $3 per board if you build
100).
* PayPal or the credit card processor will take about 3% cut or about $3
for a $100 board
* Don't forget packaging materials like shipping box, padded bags etc.
* There will be some non-functional boards.  What if a board gets lost
or damaged in shipping, who will pay for that?
* You need to build prototypes to make sure the design is good before
starting production.  Components and PCBs for the prototypes will cost
you $500 - $1000 and those boards really can't be sold.
* You need to put in several man-weeks of design time to make it happen.

So hopefully it's quite clear that selling a board like Pepino LX9/1MB
that will run Oberon RISC5 right out of the box for $99.95 is not driven
by a desire to make money but rather an effort to make such a board
available at a reasonable cost so that others have the opportunity to
venture into the world of Oberon RISC5 and FPGAs in general.

For more info about Pepino LX9/1MB see
http://saanlima.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=64

Magnus