[Oberon] Train VS all terrain truck

Alexey Veselovsky alexey.veselovsky at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 16:56:58 CET 2016

Hi.

> Coming to your niche question: In my point of view, let Oberon run on
> RISC5,
> ARM or Intel. Whatever might fit your taste.
> The benefit of Oberon (not only the language but also the whole Oberon
> system) is that it is so small. So, programming an embedded device (=small
> memory space and very low power, not too fast CPU) in Oberon could be
> beneficial. You don't have to develop in assembly language but can use a
> rather high level, strictly typed OOP-ready language. The embedded device
> runs your application and ships directly with its very compact Oberon
> runtime system running natively on the embedded device without a stripped
> down Linux or so.

Oberon system (but not RISC5) is very small and neat self-development
environment. And it is a very good choice for education purposes.

But if you want to develop embedded system for production (and you do not
need any development environment in a finished product) then Oberon system
may be is not a best choice. Just because there are several other languages
that have less runtime overhead and has more low and high level abilities
(Ada, C++, Modula (2,3), Rust).

Host and target systems can be very different.

I wrote embedded software in C++ (actually C++11 - with lambda functions,
templates and so on) for hardware with only 512 *bytes* of RAM.

Thanks,
Alexey.