[Oberon] RISC.img format

enso enso at apple2.x10.mx
Sat Feb 13 20:12:37 CET 2016

SD cards are not entirely KISS, but close (or is it MMC that is
simple?).  Well, if you read

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MultiMediaCard
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_cards

you should be satisfyingly confused.

Ignoring the multiplicity of standards overlaid onto SD / MMC, you can
talk to all cards with a simple SPI port; the only complication is the
requirement to go slow until a faster rate is negotiated. Communication
is relatively simple once you figure out a consistent way to initialize
the card (that works for all the different brands), mostly reading and
writing fixed-size 'sectors'.

Unlike USB and HDMI, you can use a few FPGA pins directly connected to
the port and no proprietary 'black boxes'.

Like VGA and PS/2, these are from a simpler time, before businesses
blindly followed the Jobsian obfuscation requirements to keep
'consumers' from 'looking under the hood' or 'knowing what they want'.