[Oberon] Windows GUI Development with Oberon

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Mon Feb 15 13:20:32 CET 2016

I find GUI implementation is much simpler with Gardens Point Component
Pascal. Some simple key examples are listed here:

http://www.cfbsoftware.com/cpide/examples.aspx

(CPIde is the ancestor of Astrobe. The GUI of both was developed using CPIde
and GPCP.)

Once you understand the basic building blocks and are familiar with C# and
Winforms GUI development it doesn't take much imagination to develop more
complex GUI applications. Although not quite as easy to write in the first
place I find the resulting apps easier to maintain (and infinitely less
buggy) than my Delphi code with its quirky forms system.

Alternatively you can use Visual Studio's forms design to generate your GUI
code in C# (VB even) using 'point and click'. You can the use GPCP when you
want to port Oberon code to Windows as we did with the RISC5 compiler, the
Project Oberon file system etc. C# and GPCP work wonderfully together.

Regards,
Chris

Chris Burrows
CFB Software