[Oberon] Pepino LX9, USB, and other hardware running OBERON

Ulrich Hoffmann uho at xlerb.de
Mon Feb 15 20:51:44 CET 2016

Hi Lars,

> So essentially it's a blackbox abstracted away

In deed - the black box is the on board FTDI FT2232H (Dual High Speed
USB to Multipurpose UART/FIFO IC) chip [1]. It's a typical way how
FPGA or microcontroller systems connect to PCs nowadays.

On Pepino you are not forced to use the chip. You could also
just bit bang a serial line on one of the I/O pins in Oberon if
you want to explain serial communication. On the other hand Project
Oberon also uses highly integrated nRF24L01+ [2] RF transceiver
modules for wireless communication and their inner workings
is not explained in Oberon either.

It all boils down whether or not you want a completely and easily
explainable system.

Regards,
	Ulrich

[1] http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/ICs/FT2232H.htm