[Oberon] oberonstation vs. a [$5/]$9 computer (Lars)

Paul Reed paulreed at paddedcell.com
Tue Feb 16 00:16:11 CET 2016

Dear Mr. Otten,

> So first a hello to all Oberon fans!

Hello and welcome!

>sorry to see a discussion
> come to strong words instead of arguments.

This is an extremely unfair comment - arguments were tried, exasperation
followed, if you read from the beginning.  But let's get back to the
point:

> It's entirely possible to run Project Oberon on a $5 computer, the
> Raspberry Pi Zero cost is $5.

Yes, but you can't explain what is going on, even if you had an entire
semester.

> To teach and learn I would advise Raspberry Pi Zero's, you can buy a
> classroom full, for 20 students, for the same price as one OberonStation.

So please, now that that fact has been established, I say again, can we
please stop comparing apples and oranges?

The 2013 edition of Project Oberon, running on an FPGA board such as the
OberonStation, is a working and available example of a system built
entirely from scratch with the express objective of making it easily
explainable and understandable in all aspects.

And if you really want to understand something, you have to try changing it.

Can we please talk about something else now?  Thanks.

With best regards,
Paul