[Oberon] Accessing Oberon RISC5 files on other computers

skulski at pas.rochester.edu skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Tue Feb 16 06:35:26 CET 2016

Chris and Joerg:

Chris answered (Joerg wrote something similar):

> You can write software that will do that.

Maybe I was not clear. I am thinking of instruments (oscilloscopes or
digital cameras) which write something to a floppy, a USB drive, or an SD
card. The user then takes the card, s/he inserts it into a Windows or a
Mac, and a directory opens with the files. The user *can* write software,
but the user does not *have to* write software to read the photographs
from the camera. If writing software was a requirement then the user would
return the camera to the store and the manufacturer would go bankrupt.

So where do we stand with Oberon System, if it is to be used to develop
some products (as opposed to being used to develop itself)? Well, in 1985
compatibility was not an issue. But now we live in 2016 and there are all
these other computers around. These days a product should write to a well
formatted drive which can be taken to Windows or Mac, inserted into a
slot, and be usable without programming with the Garden Points compiler, a
RISC5 emulator, or whatever.

Does it make sense?

Wojtek