[Oberon] FPGA-related Project Oberon Customizations

jwr at robrts.net jwr at robrts.net
Tue Feb 16 06:59:06 CET 2016

What FPGA-related Project Oberon customizations are people considering
or implementing?

At http://oberonstation.x10.mx/smf/index.php?topic=26.0 I posted some
questions about how the OberonStation is being used, and what projects
and ideas others are pondering. My questions can easily be expanded
beyond the OberonStation, to any and all of the Project Oberon 2013
implementations. Within Chris Burrows' response, he indicated "The
opportunities for customising the FPGA hardware are what excites me
about RISC5 Oberon." That is a particularly interesting observation,
and I wonder what types of customizations others are considering or
are already actively implementing?

One possibility includes enhancement of the RISC5 CPU to include
particular special features. [Given that it's supposed to be a REDUCED
I.S.C,, which small enhancements would still be desirable?] Other
possibilities might involve modification of the display to implement
color graphics, or to use some of the I/O pins to implement a
different network communication interface.  I'm interested in parallel
programming, so perhaps some kind of co-processor or multi-core RISC
instantiation (perhaps requiring movement toward AOS/A2 concepts) is
of interest.

What particular types of "hardware" modification within the FPGA [i.e.
implemented primarily via changes to the Verilog code] do you think
are of interest?

-- John Roberts