[Oberon] Pepino LX9, USB, and other hardware running OBERON

Ken Boak ken.boak at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 13:32:34 CET 2016

Bill,

I also am in favour of stripping away the USB - it really only makes sense
when you want to communicate with a PC and power the board with a fairly
stable 5V supply.

FTDI have produced USB to serial interface devices for about 10 years - and
this is very convenient for connecting low resource microcontrollers that
perhaps only have a (TTL) UART for serial comms.

You can now get a USB to serial VCP IC that runs at 3Mbaud  and costs less
than 50 cents.

Regarding implementation on an ESP8266:

Whilst the current ESP8266 is a capable chip  (80-160MHz 32 bit) with only
20% of it's MIPS taken up with the WiFi stack, it might not have sufficient
RAM available on chip (<36Kbytes) to support a full Oberon application.

This begs the question about an "Oberon Lite" implementation - which I
guess is what Chris Burrows has implemented for various ARM and FPGA
platforms.

There's a new ESP device, the ESP32, currently in beta testing which has
about 400Kbytes of RAM

https://harizanov.com/2015/12/esp32/

This could make a very attractive platform for an IOT system or pocket WiFi
workstation.

It is only the mass-market applications that will bring Oberon to the
forefront - and the idea of a complete lightweight OS that resides in under
1Mbyte - makes it attractive for IoT devices that really do not need to
carry around 20 million lines of source-code baggage.

However to develop these applications, we need Oberon platforms  - and NW,
Paul Reed (& co) Chris B and Magnus are doing their best to furnish us with
usable hardware.

Ken

Ken