[Oberon] Inexpensive Hardware: Cost vs Objectives

enso enso at apple2.x10.mx
Sat Feb 20 17:17:15 CET 2016

> I never once demanded it be $5 but was reasonable and said maybe $50 or
> $70 is pushing it. But even if you make it $50 there is something called
> competition in a free market. So you say that oberon is a learning system
> and not a final product.  So is the rasp pi and orange pi for $15 so why
> would people who want to learn, spend $120 or more on an educational
> system when there is one available for $15.
>
> Sorry about my real world business experience. I never once stated I was
> political, but rather businessal.

There is nothing free market about subsidized $5.00 computers.  If you
add up the cost of the parts for an independent third party, and it is
an order of magnitude or more higher, before labor and NRE costs, the
only remaining explanation is a subsidy.  A subsidy means that someone,
for whatever reason, is cramming a product down your throat.  You can
enjoy it if you wish but recognize it as a gift and don't insist that
everyone lose their pants selling products for nothing.

I would be happy to sell $5.00 Oberon computers if you give me $100-$150
per unit while no one is looking.  Or, let's play the other game - raise
$50 million, borrow another 50, sell a million units for $5.00, sell the
company for $500 million.  Although I doubt you could sell a million
Oberon computers today even for $5.00.  So we are back to comparing
apples and oranges.

Finally, your pricing theory is not quite right.  Why would 'people who
want to learn' spend $100,000 (in the US, at least) to get a degree from
a known university when you can learn for free?  There are obviously
other reasons than price.  I doubt that someone who wants to program a
hardwired Oberon machine will be deterred by $100 price difference and
buy a Raspberry Pi instead.  And lose sleep because a Pi is so much more
expensive than whatever the $5.00 computer.

By making price arguments like that, you put a very low price tag on
your time, not a very businessal argument.  What is the per-hour price
difference if you work with a device for a year, even a couple of hours
a day?