[Oberon] Pepino LX9, USB, and other hardware running OBERON

Bob Walkden bob at web-options.com
Sat Feb 20 20:38:33 CET 2016

I think I read somewhere, but can't remember where, that Prof. W considers that type-safety from the bottom up addresses the resilience (and resulting recoverability) issues that micro-kernels of the Minix-3 type and 'system space' are supposed to address. That is, the reasons for systems failing catastrophically are the result of writing them in badly-designed programming languages, and that the correct choice of language makes such facilities redundant.

I may be misrepresenting or over-simplifying as I'm writing from memory, in which case I beg forgiveness, but I seem to remember that being the gist of it.

I remember when I read it that it seemed rather idealistic, but I've spent my career in a world where software is, to quote Parnas, "ugly, unreliable, hard to change and certainly not something that Wirth or Dijkstra would admire".