[Oberon] Oberon with strings, Eberon

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 04:17:14 CET 2016

Jörg wrote:-
> The main problem in implementing strings is the question: how to represent
> a character internally? Or in other words is a character one byte,
> two bytes or four bytes.
> Coming back to the question: What shoud length(str) return?
> Is it the number of characters or the number of bytes?

Yes! This new-fad of replacing the 1-byte <quote-char> with  3 non-ASCII
bytes is a *VIRUS*.
Lars wrote:-
> Almost all of my website visitors and customers are english, even the
> people who live in russia who I deal with speak english.. as do germans..
> So I ignore the whole unicode scam.

Well ETHO's char-set: not limited to 7-bits ASCII is fine.
It handles all European languages AFAIK.
And doesn't have the above <length problem>?

When/if you need to cater for Arabic, Hindi, Japanese ...
only then, use unicode.  It's called apartheid: the toddlers and pensioners
have different meal-sittings.

== Chris Glur.