[Oberon] Oberon with strings, Eberon

Lars noreply at z505.com
Sun Feb 28 04:22:58 CET 2016

On Fri, February 26, 2016 8:42 pm, jwr at robrts.net wrote:

> Thinking of a text file as being infected by UTF-8 character viruses
> does not facilitate development of an effective solution: how does one
> inoculate a text file against viruses?  What kind of anti-virus is best to
> apply? How can an infected file be cured?

Each program has its own problems dealing with unicode, so there are
infinite possibilities for virus, corruption, display problems, conversion
problems,  hence the problem.  With a limit of 255 chars or english only,
it's like protecting yourself against 1 million STD's and AIDS instances.

I know this is not an ideal solution because the spoiled little globalized
internationalization fools want a million languages and Emotioncons as
characters. But it just doesn't work. Even if we only had to support three
main languages it would make things much easier than 1 million variations
times infinity. You can't solve an infinite problem.. this is Godel's
incompleteness nightmare.