[Oberon] Standalone BlackBox programs was: GUI programming in Oberon.

Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net
Thu Mar 3 18:40:44 CET 2016

A strong theme in the Oberon community is documentation in the sense of
understanding or having an audit trail.  A command that lists the modules
in the order that they are packed is very clearly documented, and valuable
for troubleshooting.

This is the same thought pattern that believes that variables should be
declared, rather than simply having the compiler allocate space, even when
spelling errors creep in, or believes that identifiers should have the
module name as a part of the identifier.  Yes, it takes more crafting to
author the code.  That time is recovered during maintenance.

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 4:42 AM, Lars <noreply at z505.com> wrote:

> On Mon, February 29, 2016 5:02 am, Treutwein Bernhard wrote:
> > Lars,

> > Wrong. Please check before you set such a statement in the wild.
> >

> Right. Virtually you can do it, but virtually it's 100 times harder than
> using delphi...
>

> >> How did you ship an exe standalone? modify the blackbox source code, or
> >>  use a different compiler?
> >
> > There are several way, the basic one is documented in the
> > "Platform-Specific Issues".
> >

> Yeah like I have time for this:
>
> "If you want to distribute an application you have written in BlackBox,
> you may want to link all modules into a single file for distribution. In
> this case you need to link the framework to your application. To
> illustrate the necessary actions we will give an example. First duplicate
> the BlackBox application in the Explorer"
>
> In delphi you hit F9, and you're done. In blackbox, they make it a pain in
> the butt.
>
> Reasons Delphi sold well? not sure. Turbo pascal? not sure...
>
> Okay so you can virtually do it, but literally delphi is much easier.

(email is my preferred communication media)
Aubrey McIntosh, Ph.D.
1502 Devon Circle
Austin TX 78723-1814
(512)-348-7401