[Oberon] On Oberon Sources

Srinivas Nayak sinu.nayak2001 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 18:36:41 CEST 2016

Many thanks Dieter for your quick reply...

True that converting files to ascii files is simple.
But when we say, Oberon is simple, we should have used plain ascii files as a minimum.
In a minimal system we generally need a couple of .Obj files, a couple of .Mod files,
a couple of .Tool files and .Text files.
I feel, except .Obj files rest all could have been plain ascii files.
I want to understand why "that is not the case" in Oberon, where as to my knowledge, "that is the case" in
so called complex Linux!
Any issue with plain ascii files in Oberon? Performance wise? Processing/parsing wise? Storage/retrieval wise?

I think, in Linux we see a couple of executable files (corresponding to .Obj files) (not plain ascii)
a couple of .C and .H files (corresponding to .Mod files) (plain ascii)
a couple of .sh files (corresponding to .Tool files) (plain ascii)
a couple of .txt (corresponding to .Text files) (plain ascii).

Obviously, Oberon is much richer.
So we can have well formatted text files.
That feature we can have, just to show the richness of Oberon.
But not as a minimum requirement.

Still I think, plain ascii text files are "simple" than formatted text files.
Or, just not to make things "simpler" we used formatted text files everywhere (.Mod .Tool .Text .Def)?

Confused.

With thanks and best regards,

Yours sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak