[Oberon] ET; was Re (3): On Oberon Sources

Srinivas Nayak sinu.nayak2001 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 04:22:14 CEST 2016

Dear Peter,

Many thanks.
I found ET.Open working from Oberon0.Dsk.
I was looking for this.
ET.Open opens a file. I saw it uses .Store, that means System.Store.
Am I correct?

That may mean System.Store stores plain ascii text to a file,
but Edit.Store stores formatted text to a file.
Let me confirm this reading code!
[Not sure if ascii text is being stored to a file using converters internally!]

At least it makes sense that ET was available initially in Oberon0 to support plain ascii text.
And later on, after full installation, when more powerful Oberon took over the control,
we never needed plain ascii text files and so we forgot ET and used Edit.

I see that Appendix E in Install.Tool in Oberon0.Dsk says,
if you get a trap, do ET.StoreAscii and send the error report to P. Muller.

With thanks and best regards,

Yours sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak

Home: http://www.mathmeth.com/sn/